TOUCH THE EARTH
Translates to Zam Mi Nan Aki in Ojibwe
This name was gifted to us by Elder Dave Courchene
Erica Daniels, Naomii Routhier
Engaging and empowering Indigenous Youth in intensive cultural exploration.
Provide youth the opportunity to experience Indigenous ceremony and culture: This component will provide participants with the opportunity to learn ancient Indigenous knowledge and teachings from respected Elders and community leaders. As youth gain a stronger knowledge of their identity, they will develop the skills and confidence to become strong community leaders. This component will provide Indigenous youth with:
- Connection to Elders and Community Leaders
- Opportunities for healing from intergenerational trauma by reconnecting to their culture
- Opportunities to apply the teachings into their everyday lives
- Education of ancient knowledge in hopes they will carry it forward
- Activities include: sweat lodge, medicine pouches, rattles, medicine teachings and picking, building sweat lodge, pipe ceremony, naming ceremony, water ceremony, exploring bundles, attending the Turtle Lodge, debrief sharing circles, 7 Sacred Teachings.